Christmas Break Begins

 Today is the first day of my school's Christmas Break. Yesterday, we celebrated the holiday with a morning prayer service, singing Christmas carols, and class parties. I was fortunate to have several parents come in and help with the party for my class. We enjoyed donuts, cookies, fruit, juice and watched old Christmas shows from the 1960s.

Several of my students brought gifts for the teacher. Many were what one might expect: cookies, cakes, gift cards, and such. One took me by surprise. For the first time in 20 years of teaching, I received a bottle of whiskey as part of a set consisting of a specialized ice tray made for making perfect ice cubes, a Christmas gnome whiskey glass, and a bottle of fine sipping whiskey. I was quite astounded when I opened this gift as I have never mentioned being a whiskey aficionado in class. In face, I cannot remember every mentioning whether or not I drink alcohol to my students.

The missus and I have a busy day ahead of us today. Later this morning is our extended family Christmas at our nieces house. Then, this evening, is our camping club Christmas party. The first party is about 90 minutes east of here. The second is an hour west. Thus, we will be spending a fair amount of time on the road today.

Tomorrow, I have to be up early - o'dark thirty early - to drive to the airport. Son 1 is flying in on the red-eye from Las Vegas and is scheduled to land at 6:00 a.m. My plan is to pick him up, stop on the way home for breakfast, and take a nap when we get home.

The coming week will see much preparation in anticipation of Christmas Eve and Christmas, mostly on the part of my missus. I will help when asked, but experience has taught me that it is best to stay out of her way otherwise. My hope is that I will have time to work on my current book projects. Eventually, I will have to decide which one I am going to finish first, which I will keep working on, and whether or not I will finish the other.

Ah, but at the moment, I am relaxing in my chair, drinking a hot cup of Bitty & Beau's Holiday Blend, and "penning" this post to you, my dear readers. I wish you all Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, and a very Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia