I Never Heard of a Dump Closed on Wednesday Before


 

Today's post is inspired by that second generation folk sing Arlo Guthrie. Arlo recorded the iconic anti-Vietnam War protest song "Alice's Restaurant." 


One of the funniest lines in the song, in my humble opinion, is "... we had never heard of a dump closed on Thanksgiving before and with tears in our eyes we drove off into the sunset looking for another place to put the garbage."

This line from the song came to mind the minute I saw the locked gate and the closed sign. I had never heard of a dump closed on a Wednesday before, so I drove on wondering if I was going to have to keep all the garbage - recyclables, actually - in my truck until the next day. Fortunately, in small print, I noticed that the dump would open at 1 p.m. Thus, I returned after lunch and disposed of the plastics, glass bottles, metal cans, and cardboard we'd accumulated since our last visit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia