Happy New Year, I Suppose

 

If you stayed up last night to see in the New Year, you're one up on me. The missus and I were in bed asleep before 10:30 p.m.

I was awakened by the multitude of fireworks set off around the neighborhood at what I assume was midnight but did not bother to check the clock.

When it comes to New Year's, I am a self-confessed curmudgeon. It has been a good many years since I bothered to stay up to watch the ball/bear/acorn/opossum, or whatever else drop at midnight in New Year's Eve.

The event, other than signifying the start of a new tax year, carries very little meaning for me. Perhaps that stems from working as a teacher these last 20 years. My new year begins in August.

It could also be that climate change has something to do with it. Being located all my life as I have been in the Northern Hemisphere I expect this time of year to be cold, or at least cool. Temperatures in the mid-70s on New Year's Day, while pleasant, are not seasonal for this area and do nothing to help put one in the mood.

 I have no real expectations for 2022. I expect it to be no better and pray that it will be no worse than 2021. 

I do with for one and all a Happy New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia