When You Can't Fight The Feeling Anymore

 

I was working on revisions for my latest project, My Best Friend and the Princess, and listening to the Air Supply channel on SiriusXM when the song in the video above came on. As I listened to the song, I realized it was the perfect song to describe the moment in my first book, River Dream, when Rhiannon - the main antagonist, realizes she can no longer deny her love for Michael - the main protagonist.

The song almost perfectly describes the emotional and mental efforts Rhiannon went through during the years of their friendship to keep herself from admitting the true depths of her feelings for Mike. Considering I wrote River Dream more than ten years ago, and the song had been around for a while at that time, I wonder why it wasn't until this morning did I realize how well the song fit the story.

I suppose there is a playlist that could be compiled to accompany most every novel. I know I've made lists of songs I thought went well with this and other stories. The obvious song for River Dream is "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac.


Many readers have asked me if I named the character after the song. I did not. At my wife's suggestion, I chose the name from Celtic mythology. Only after I wrote the first draft of the book did I realize Fleetwood Mac had recorded a song by the same name based on the same mythological character.

Music has always been an important part of my writing process. I have different playlists I listen to depending on the mood I'm trying to set.

If you listen to music while you work, please comment below and let me know what type of songs entertain you while you're on the job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia