Fishing from the Buzby - oops - Kure Beach Pier


 The Fish it Took the Three of Us to Land
***

Meet my new fishing friends, Clay and Brittany. The couple was fishing beside my son and me on the Kure Beach Pier last Saturday. The fish they are holding, a small pompano, was quite a catch. It took the three of us to land it.

What happened was the wind made the water very choppy in addition to the normal movement of lines caused by the wave action. My line and Clay's got tangled a couple of times but were easily separated. Then, all three of us got our lines tangled at the same time. Sorting them out took a little more time, a lot of patience, and some ingenuity. We managed to do it without having to cut any of the lines.

When I reeled my leader in to see if I had any bait left after all that, lo and behold, this fish was hanging on one of my hooks. It is my fishing pole tip that Clay is holding in his right hand. I told them we should share credit for the fish because it took the three of us getting our lines wrapped up to catch it. We laughed about it and they graciously agreed to pose for a picture with our "big" catch. Many thanks to Clay and Brittany for their permission to use the photo here on my blog.

My son and I spent most of the morning on the pier despite the wind, which was blowing quite fiercely. By the time we left in the early afternoon, we'd caught a dozen fish between the two of us - 11 pompano and 1 whiting. None of them were big enough to keep. We wouldn't have anyway. Catch, photograph, and release is our motto when it comes to fishing.

I am already looking forward to our next trip to the beach and our next adventure on the pier. We always meet the nicest people there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia