Camping on the Neuse River as Nicole passes by to the West


The missus and I have had this camping trip planned for some time. It is an annual tradition for us. When my father was still alive, we came down this weekend every year and I would march in the Veterans Day parade with him. 

This weekend is also my mother's birthday. She will be 85 years old this year. Quite an accomplishment considering my grandmother died of heart disease at 64 and my grandfather of a massive heart attack at 70. Mom credits her longevity to modern medicine and not eating yucky (according to her) vegetables like broccoli and spinach.

As mentioned in the title of this post, the center of the remnants of Hurricane Nicole is passing far to the west of us near the North Carolina mountains. Still, the sheer size of the storm means we are experiencing frequent bands of rain and wind. Also, the wind direction is pushing water upriver from the Pamlico Sound. The Neuse is higher here at the campground than I've seen it in a long time.

One of my goals, while we are here, is to make progress on this year's NaNoWriMo project. Ten days in and I am at 36%, which is slightly ahead of target. I want to stay ahead and hope to build up my cushion.

This year, my project is the second of my BG of Buzby Beach books. The first, tentatively titled BG and the Princess, was last year's effort and made it to the Winner's Circle. The working title of this year's work is BG and the Athlete. I already know I'm going to change it but don't know to what.

The missus brought her work computer and is busy crunching numbers and preparing reports. Such is the curse of being able to work remotely. Anywhere we camp that has WiFi means she can log in and work.

I'll leave you with a parting shot of the campground as seen from the dock. Remember, it is Veterans Day. Thank a vet for their service.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia