Interplanetary Bob, the Missus, and I Traveled to California


 Yesterday, IP Bob, my missus, and I set out on our journey to visit Son1 in California. Above, you can see IP Bob offering to carry the backpack with all my tech inside. He is a helpful little guy.

We left the house in eastern NC just after noon and, after a little confusion because of renumbered parking areas at the airport, got checked in and boarded our flight.


This is IP Bob chatting with me on the way from Long-Term Parking to the terminal.


While waiting to board our first flight from Raleigh to Charlotte (I know, right?), the three of us had time to share a cheesy pretzel and a bottle of water. This snack only set us back $12. Airport prices are larcenous.


Bob was too small for his own seat, so he rode with the airline literature on the back of the seat in front of me. On this first flight, we had seats by the Emergency Exit. I chose those seats because they gave me plenty of legroom.

After landing in Charlotte, we didn't have much time before boarding our second flight, this one to Ontario, California. Despite being on the same type of aircraft, an A-321, the second plane must have been a different model as there was less room under the seats and the overhead compartments were smaller. I thought we'd chosen seats with more room by choosing the first row in economy. They did have more room than the rest of the seats in the back of the plane, but I should have picked the Emergency Exit seats again. I'll know better if I ever plan another trip. Bob wound up riding with the literature again.


After five hours in the air on the second leg, we arrived in Ontario at about 8:45pm local time. Bob was happy the flying part of our trip was over for now. When he saw this sign, the little guy just had to have his picture taken with it.

The next step was to retrieve our checked bags, locate the rental car lot, pick up a car, and drive the 84 miles to our son's house. We finally made it around 11 pm. To our east coast internal clocks, it felt like 2 in the morning.

After all the hellos and how was your trips, we finally dropped into bed sometime after midnight local.


I managed to sleep in this morning until nearly 5:30 local time. The missus had to get up earlier and log in to work. (Isn't remote working wonderful?) As you can see, Bob slept in. I left him sleeping while I went downstairs to make coffee.


When I went up to check on him, Bob was awake and reading my Paperwhite. I told him coffee was ready, and he eagerly followed me downstairs.


While the missus warmed up some hash brown casserole our son left for us in the fridge, Bob and I enjoyed watching the sunrise.

Now caffeinated and fed, as soon as the missus finishes her work for this morning, we are going to go explore the area around Son1's new house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was bound to happen, and yesterday, it did

Short Hike on a Long Trail - New River Trail State Park, Virginia